Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Houston, We Have a Thumbsucker

People always ask if Beckett will take a pacifier. We always say yes, she'll take it out of her mouth and insert her thumb. She really just prefers her thumb, or even her index finger, or a combo of two or three digits - whatever works at the time. When she's super overtired but we can't put her down (e.g., we're in the car), she is sometimes too upset and can't find her thumbs, she'll take a pacifier and pass out. The pacifier will fall out midsleep, and her thumb will magically find its way in. We've never had a pacifier in the crib, so we're thinking this is how she and the thumb became best friends. Regardless, we think it's adorable and I love how just when she starts to get upset for whatever reason (too tired, tummy cramp, etc.) - she calms herself down with her thumb. Her baby thumb suck is the adult deep breath - she really self soothes and it's amazing how that little thumb can calm her down.

Typically when I go in to get her from a nap, she's awake or just starting to stir and wake up. But sometimes, she's still asleep. I go in and turn up the light a little (the lamp is on a dimmer). Usually this wakes her. Sometimes it doesn't and she still sleeps (until I turn off the sound machine - once that thing turns off her eyes pop open like a baby doll's!). Last week I caught her asleep, with that little thumb in. I was like I have to get a picture! I went to get the camera and ran back in - NO SD CARD! But she was still sleeping... so I ran to get the SD card, loaded it in and guess what? She was still sleeping! I took 10 or 11 pictures before she finally stirred a bit and was like seriously, mother, pictures of me sleeping? Creepy. LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment